Theme 1: Navigating
Cultures, From the Local to the Global
- Local cultures and global
impacts - learning to maintain the balance.
- Opportunity and diversity
- creating the conditions for participation in schools
- From the margins to the
mainstream - learning minority, immigrant and indigenous
cultures and languages.
- Multicultural, cross-cultural,
international and global education.
- Gender, disability and socio-economic
differences in the classroom.
- Education as a globalising
industry - international education, overseas students
and education export.
Theme 2: New Technology,
New Economy-Learning for the Future
- Learning through technology
and learning about technology.
- New tools for learning
- closing the distance with online, on-location, needs-based
- New economy and future work
- what are the knowledge and skills requirements
- Education as a social investment
- setting priorities for the future.
- The public, the private
and the market - trends in educational provision.
- Crossing the digital divide
- access to learning in, and about, the digital world.
- Educational reform and curriculum
redesign for a changing world.
Theme 3: Literacy
in a Digital Age
- The 'new basics' -
what is the core of learning today, and how is it changing?
- Reading and writing after
the computer - the internet, multimedia, multiliteracies.
- Visual meanings, audio meanings
and linguistic meanings in the new, multimodal communications.
- Academic, workplace and
- Literacy in learning -
language in learning across the subject areas.
- Assessing literacies in
a meaningful way.
- Multilingual learning for
a multicultural world.
Theme 4: Education
for Social and Personal Transformation
- Education is everywhere
- lifelong and lifewide learning, from early childhood
- Blurring the institutional
boundaries - what people need to learn, and where
they learn it.
- Competence, ability, capacity,
intelligence - what are we learning and why?
- Managing and leading change
in today's institutions of learning.
- Defining and measuring educational
- Teacher performance and
student evaluation - measuring educational performance
and learning outcomes.
- The changing shape of vocational
education and training.
- University learning in changing
economic, technological and cultural conditions.
- Changing the role of teachers:
challenges for teacher training and professional development.