The Eighth International
Skolio of Spetses
4-8 July 2001
Learning for the Future
here for Greek Language Information site
Theme 1: NEW
- Multimedia, the internet and today's media: learning about
and through the new information technologies.
- Globalisation and multiculturalism: the learning consequences.
- Mathematics, science, art, social studies, history and the
traditional subject areas: old disciplines and new 'basics'.
- Lifelong learning for the society of constant change, from
early childhood to workplace learning and learning-in-retirement.
- Learning in and out of school: just how much can be learnt
in places of formal learning?
- Learning transitions: from home to school; from early to
middle to later years of schooling; and from school to vocational
and higher education.
Theme 2: NEW
- The 'basics' today: what are they?
- New languages, new literacies: the 'multilteracies' of our
multimedia and global communications environments.
- English as a world language.
- The verbal and the visual: where language meets visual design.
- 'Foreign' language learning, multilingualism and cross-cultural
- Girls, boys and literacy.
- Adult , community and workplace literacies.
Theme 3: NEW
- Learning just in time and just enough: learning when and
where you need to know.
- Virtual worlds, virtual classrooms: interactive, self-paced
and autonomous learning.
- Distance learning in a global environment: so what's distant?
- New learning institutions: self-governing schools, community-based
schools, education as a business.
- The future of the university.
- Vocational education and training for the future.
- Educational leadership and management: today's challenges.
- New teachers and new teaching: the role of pre-service and
inservice professional training.
Theme 4: NEW
- The changing purposes of education: shaping new kinds of
worker, citizen and personal identities.
- Education as the core of the new economy: cultural capital,
intellectual property, human resources.
- Competence, ability, capacity, intelligence: redefining the
- Border crossings: educating whole persons for a multicultural
and global era.
- Equity in and through education: today's challenges.
- Indigenous, immigrant, national, regional, global: juggling
- Gender, disability, socio-economic differences: negotiating
the social dynamics of the classroom.
- Open, culturally reflexive, autonomous and socially responsible
thinkers: how are the formed?
- Non-linear learning: new ways of thinking and new knowledge.
- Knowing the world to transform the world: education for personal
and contextual transformation.